Thursday, November 15, 2018

Mrs. Johnson's Million Dollar Pound Cake

Mrs. Johnson was my high school math teacher.  Those of you from the Grant area probably had Mrs. Johnson too or at least know someone that did.  I learned a lot of math from her.  And yes there was some complaining about geometry.  We had a conversation a couple of years ago about that geometry notebook.  I know some of you remember that.  She just laughed.  My high school math final was harder than my freshmen math final.  When I told her about that she laughed again.  And said all that hard work was worth it now. She knew what she was doing. Well we lost Mrs. Johnson this summer.  Her daughter posted this recipe and said Mrs. Johnson always made this cake to take to someone when they were sick or there had been a death.  So this week I wanted to make this cake to take to someone. A friend and I took dinner to a family that welcomed a new baby to the family.  So it's full circle.  I ate a piece of this cake and thought back a little about high school and math class.  Thanks Mrs. Johnson.

This is a nice big cake.  I love the crusty stuff on top. 
The original pound cakes were called that because there was a pound of every ingredient.  I think this one probably comes close.
Start with 4 sticks, yes you read that right, of softened butter.
Add 3 cups sugar
Beat until nice and fluffy.
Add 6 eggs one at a time and beat after each one.
Add 6 eggs are added.
4 cups all purpose flour.  Add the flour a little at a time and...
Alternate adding some of the 3/4 cup milk
Add 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
I have a nice full bowl of dough.
Now is my least favorite part of making a cake, greasing and flouring the pan. I have greased it with butter shortening.  Make sure you get that ridge in the back.
Now to flour the pan.  I get flour all over my kitchen doing this.  If you are making a chocolate cake you can use cocoa.  I have also heard you can sprinkle sugar on the shortening.  I want to try that next time.
Now pour the batter in the pan and spread it out. Place it in a preheated 300 oven.  Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Time it up.  Time to test to see if it is done.
Use a skewer and see if it is done all the way through.
Came out clean.
Now for the moment of truth.  will it come out clean.
Made it out of the pan.
Now for the flip.
That is a pretty cake.
I had to try a piece.

Million Dollar Pound Cake Recipe

3 cups sugar
 4 sticks softened butter
6 eggs room temp
4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Preheat oven to 300.  Bake for 1 hour and 40 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment