Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Apple Oatmeal Cookies

These are the perfect fall cookie.  The apples have been so good this year.  I went out to Isom's Apple Orchard earlier this fall and got some great apples.  I got a variety I was not familiar with called Enterprise.  They are a nice firm apple with a little tart taste.  They are great to cook with.  I will be looking for them again.
I wish you could smell these cookies.  I didn't freeze any of these because I wasn't sure how the fresh apple would freeze.  I might try it again next year and freeze some.
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but they put together really fast.
Start with a stick and a half of softened butter.
1 1/4 cups brown sugar.  Mix the butter and sugar well.
Add one egg.  I have found that eggs mix better when they are room temperature.
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt.  Keep in mind if you use salted butter you might want to use less salt.  I always use unsalted butter.
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.  This smells so good.
2 3/4 cup quick cooking oats.  Not instant oats.
1 cup chopped apple.  I grated mine because I thought it would be faster and it was but I didn't get that good apple flavor as much.  Next time I will peel and chop the apple instead of grating it.
Scoop them out on parchment lined baking sheets.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
Once they are cool enjoy. There is a glaze you can add to the top of the cookies if you like.  I didn't want to I thought they were great without it.  I will add the glaze recipe at the bottom.

Apple Oatmeal Cookies Recipe

2 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoon vailla
1 cup chopped apple

glaze
2 Tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 15-18 minutes.  Watch them because you don't want to over bake them.

No comments:

Post a Comment