Monday, December 5, 2016

Birdseed Ornaments

You know how I like feeding my birds.  So why not make it look nice for the holidays.  I saw this somewhere and I had an old tree that I wanted to get rid of after the holidays.  It really wasn't a pretty tree, so I decided to make a tree for the birds outside.  So these ornaments would be perfect for the tree.

That is water and light corn syrup.  I also used the smaller seed bird seed to make it easier.
I gathered an assortment of cookie cutters to make the ornaments. I also lined the cookie sheet with wax paper.
1 cup birdseed
1/8 cup flour
1/8 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Mix that all together.  Make sure all the seeds are coated.
Cut a straw into little pieces to use to make holes.  Fill the cookie cutter with seeds and press down.  Place the straw where you want a hole.
Fill up the cutters.  Let them sit overnight and turn them over.  Let them sit a little longer to dry out.  I made these before our trip so they would have a week to dry out.
Here they are dry and ready to be hung.
The under side.
So now to get it out of the cutter.  Push from the back.
Then push the straw out.
You have a hole to add the string
Run some ribbon through the hole and tie.
So it will hang now.
I strung pop corn on the tree too.

Then I hung the ornaments around just like a regular tree.
The next morning I looked out and the wind had blown the tree over.  It is secure now.  The birds do seem to be enjoying it.

Birdseed Ornaments Recipe

1 cup birdseed
1/8 cup flour
1/8 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup


No comments:

Post a Comment