Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Sugar and Spice Cookies

Every year at Christmas I try and find a new cookie or two to try.  I saw this one a day or two before I started baking and thought I would give it a try.  It is a nice blend of sugar cookie and spice cookie.  It has similar spices that are in my gingerbread men without the molasses. This recipe makes a lot of cookies so if you need to take cookies or are participating in a cookie exchange they would be a good one to make.
You don't have to put the sanding sugar or whatever sugar you plan on putting on top if you don't want to.
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but it is mainly just some good ole spices.
Start with 2 sticks of softened butter.
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Mix well and the butter is nice and fluffy.
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves.  I love the smell of cloves.  This is the smell of Christmas for me.
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups all purpose flour.  Mix well.
Cover and chill at least one hour.
Take out of the fridge.
Roll into 1 inch balls.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
I tried using a glass to flatten the cookie but it stuck to the glass so I just used my fingers to flatten them.
Then sprinkle with sanding sugar.
When they all have been flattened place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool in the pans for about 5 minutes.
When cool store in an airtight container.

Sugar and Spice Cookies Recipe

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 sticks softened butter
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Flatten balls of dough and sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Bake 12-14 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment