Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Bacon Jalapeño Cream Corn

You know we don't do much to fancy up corn.  I saw this recipe the other day and kind of filed it in the back of my mind.  I had to make an unexpected trip to the grocery store the week of Thanksgiving and this recipe came to mind.  I was making meatloaf for dinner and I thought this recipe for corn would be a nice change.  I don't know about you but I get in a rut when I cook.  When I make meatloaf I always have cut off corn from the freezer and field peas.  So I still had corn but it was taken up a notch. I wish I had remembered to get a fresh jalapeño instead of using my jarred ones.  Next time.  Give this a try.
It really didn't take long to make and it rested in the pan well.  It's one of those dishes that you don't have to worry about timing.
And who doesn't love bacon?! Who would have thought of putting bacon in corn?
You are going to start with 5 pieces of bacon.  Don't use the thick cut bacon.
Go ahead and measure out 1/4 cup flour ad 1 cup milk
Dice the bacon and cook it in a skillet.  You can use a cast iron skillet if you like.  My nonstick skillet is a little bigger so I didn't have to worry about stirring it out of the pan.
I got out a couple of pieces of jalapeño.
Chop it up pretty fine.
Once the bacon is almost cooked add the jalapeño.
Cook until soft.
Now add the 1/4 cup flour.
Stir it around to remove the lumps.
Let it turn a little brown.  You are make a roux.
Now pour a little of the milk in.
Whisk to remove the lumps.
Add additional milk and whisk.
Once you have all the milk added and whisk away the lumps.
Now add 1 cup of heavy cream.  Add a little at a time.
Add and start whisking.
Whisk until smooth.
Now add 16 oz of frozen corn.  Stir well.
Add pepper
Add salt
Add 1 Tablespoon sugar.  Stir well.


Bacon Jalapeño Cream Corn Recipe
5 slices of bacon diced
1 jalapeno diced
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
16 oz frozen corn
1 Tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment