Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Reindeer Food

You know everyone always leaves cookies and milk out for Santa but we usually don't think to leave something out for the reindeer.  They work hard too.  So mix up a batch of this reindeer food and you will have some happy reindeer at your house.  But you better hurry, Christmas Eve is right around the corner.

I think your little "deer" at home will love this reindeer food.
 Most snack mixes will start with some kind of cereal.
 Melt 1 stick of butter.  I actually think you can use a little less butter or add a little extra cereal.
 1 cup corn Chex cereal
 1 cup rice Chex cereal
 1 cup Cheerios.  I used plan Cheerios but you could throw caution to the wind and use one of the flavored Cheerios.
 1 cup salted mixed nuts or you could use all of what ever is your favorite nut.
 Mix the cereal and nuts together.
 Pour the melted butter over the mixture.  I doubled my recipe that is why it says 1 cup of melted butter.
 Pour all around the bowl.  Toss to coat all of the cereal.
 Then spread out on a baking sheet.  I lined it with parchment.  Place in a preheated 250 oven.  I had two trays and I used both racks in the oven.  Bake for 60 minutes.  Every 15 minutes I rotated the trays between the racks and at 30 minutes I stirred and tossed.
 While the cereal is baking I mixed up the other items.  1 cup small pretzels
 1 cup of Boston Baked Beans candy.  This was hard to find.  They are also hard pieces.  So you might could find something to swap out or just not add this.
 1 cup holiday M&M's
 1 cup dried cranberries
 Toss all this together and wait for the cereal to cook and cool.
 This is after an hour baking.
 I combined all of it on one baking sheet to cool.
 Then added it to the pretzel mixture.
Then serve.  But be sure to save some for Rudolph.

Reindeer Food Recipe

1 cup corn Chex cereal
1 cup rice Chex cereal
1 cup Cheerios
1 cup salted mixed nuts
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix and bake at 250 for 1 hour

1 cup mini pretzels
1 cup Boston Baked Beans candy
1 cup Christmas M&M's
1 cup dried cranberries

No comments:

Post a Comment