Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Veg-All Chicken Casserole

I remember having a casserole similar to this in the lunchroom at school.  I have also had a casserole like this with just the veggies and no chicken.  Either way you need to make this casserole at home soon.  It comes together really quick.  If you have leftover chicken it is that much faster.  You can also make this ahead of time and leave the crackers off the top and freeze it.

One dish and you have all your veggies for the day.  You could also probably try this with different veggie combinations.
I precooked the chicken earlier in the day so it didn't take very long to put this together.
The recipe called for 16 oz can of mixed veggies.  I used frozen ones.  Either work fine.
Chop up the chicken and place in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
Back to the veggies.  Add a drained 8 oz can of water chestnuts.  Later on when I was eating the casserole there was something crunchy and I thought the potatoes were not cooked but it was the water chestnuts. So don't be surprised when you are eating.
Chop up an onion. Add it to the bowl.
Because I had extra veggies I added 1 cup sour cream instead of 1/2 cup sour cream.  Use your judgement on how much you use.
Same with the mayo.  I used 1 cup instead of 1/2.
1 cup grated cheese.  I think this is Monterey cheese.  Use whatever kind you have in the fridge.  I keep a variety of different kinds.  This one was open. And that is a little more than a cup too.  Add this to the bowl and mix everything really well.   Pour on top of the chicken.
Crush up a sleeve of crackers.
Take 1 stick of butter
Melt it.
Add the crackers to the butter.
Then sprinkle them on top of the casserole.  I think maybe 3/4 of the stick of butter would have been enough.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Pull out of the oven and enjoy.  It is nice and golden brown and bubbly.  I think you will enjoy this casserole.

Veg-All Chicken Casserole

2 cups cooked chopped chicken
16 oz mixed vegetables, drained
8 oz chopped water chestnuts
1 onion chopped
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 to 1 cup mayo I used light
1/2 to 1 cup sour cream  I used light
1 stick butter melted
1 sleeve crackers crushed

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment