Thursday, August 11, 2016

Southern Shrimp 'n Grits

I was home alone this past weekend and thought I would try to make shrimp 'n grits for myself.  My husband doesn't like grits so it was the perfect time to try them.  I found a recipe that would be easy to divide.  Keeping frozen shrimp in the freezer makes it really easy to try as well.  It looks great and it tasted good, but I need to work on the grits part some.  They were a little thick but I think it is an easy fix.

See I told you it looked good. 
The first stage is the grits.  Start with stone ground grits and water.  The grits are made in a crock pot.
Start with 3 cups water
1 cup stone ground grits
Place in the crock pot and stir well.  It says to cook them for 7-8 hours.  This seemed a little long.  I checked on them around hour 5. I'm not sure cooking them in the crock pot was the best way to make them.  I am going to look at other methods next time.  The recipe is good but the method needs some work.
The second stage of the grits.
For the 1/2 recipe use 1/8 cup heavy cream.  I think more cream would have been good too.
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sharp cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Added the butter
cream
cheese
A little salt and pepper to the grits in the grits.  I probably should have taken the grits out of the crock pot.  If they seem too thick add more cream until they are the consistency that you want.
Third part.  The shrimp
The shrimp are thawed and cleaned.  Add a little over 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
About 1 1/2 cloves of garlic
Shake and smoosh the shrimp.
Then spread them out on a baking sheet.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 6-8 minutes.
Stir the grits again.
Take the shrimp out of the oven.
The recipe calls for 3/4 stick of butter sliced on top of the shrimp.
Them pour the shrimp and the butter on top of the grits.  I added a little extra cheese because who doesn't like more cheese.

I am going to give you the full recipe.

Southern Shrimp 'n Grits Recipe

2 cups stone ground grits
6 cups water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups sharp cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
24 large shrimp
1 1/4 stick butter sliced
3 cloves garlic
2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake shrimp 6-8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment