Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Chicken Poppy Seed Rice Bake

I didn't think poppy seed chicken could be improved on but this is a really good casserole.  It is a nice twist to the classic recipe.  And I added a nice little surprise at the end that really took it up a notch.  This is a quick and easy meal that would be great for one of those nights when you don't have much time to cook.  I would suggest cooking some chicken ahead of time and keeping it in the freezer and then this meal would not take long at all.

You could add some green beans if you like.
 Instant rice makes this a very quick meal.
 Start with 2 cups water
 And two cups instant rice.  You can use brown rice too if you like.  Cook the rice per the box's instructions.
 While the rice is cooking mix up the rest of the ingredients.  8 oz sour cream
 One can cream of soup.  I used mushroom the recipe calls for chicken.  Not a big fan of cream of chicken so I usually replace it with mushroom.
 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
 1/2 cup chicken broth or water.  I didn't have broth open so I used water.
 Add about 12 oz of chopped chicken.  I just cut up two chicken breast.
 1 cup cheese.  I like cheese so I know it was more than a cup.
 Then add the cooked rice.
 Mix well and add some salt and pepper.
 Spread out in a 9x13 baking dish.
 I found these caramelized onions the other day and thought they would be good on top.
 So I sprinkled some on top.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
 Doesn't that look good?
Then serve.  I'm sure your family will enjoy it as much as mine did.  And as an added plus it is really good leftover too.

Chicken Poppy Seed Rice Bake Recipe

2 cups water
2 cups instant rice
12 oz cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
8 oz sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese
1 1/2 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup broth or water

Preheat oven to 350 and bake 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment