Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Gingerbread Granola

Well you know how much I like my gingerbread cookies during the holidays, well this granola smells a lot like my cookies when they are baking.  This is the newest batch of granola that I have tried out for my dad.  I really like sampling it when it come right out of the oven.  I find that when it is warm it taste really good, but when it gets cold I find it is too hard for me.  But he likes it.  I mentioned in the last recipe that there are lots of uses for granola besides just eating it for breakfast.  It can be used on top of yogurt or ice cream, sprinkle it on top of apples before baking the apples for an apple crisp.  I bet you could also do peaches the same way.  So give it a try.

Don't let all the ingredients scare you off, most are just seasonings. This recipe uses many of the same ones I use in my cookies.
Start with 3 cups of old fashioned rolled oats in a large bowl.
Add 1 cup coconut flakes.  The recipe calls for unsweetened.  In the past I would not have used sweetened but I have used it in another recipe and it turns out okay and doesn't burn.
1/2 cup rough chopped pecans.  I like leaving them in bigger pieces but not in halves.
In a saucepan add 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons molasses
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
Heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.  Remove from heat.
Pour the liquid over the oats, coconut, pecan mixture.
Mix well to coat all the oats.
Once all of the oats are coated.  Pour into a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Spread out in a thin layer.  Place in a preheated 300 oven.  Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely before storing.  Be sure and break up any large pieces.

Gingerbread Granola Recipe

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons molasses
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon finely ground white pepper (optional)  I didn't use this.
1/4-1/2 cup diced candied ginger ( I didn't use this either)

Preheat oven to 300 Bake for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.



















No comments:

Post a Comment