Monday, October 23, 2023

Taco Soup

 I told you it was soup season around here. This is my second soup of the week. This one was for a football game day. I was able to put it on the stove on low and it was ready whenever I was ready for a bowl. The only thing I regret was I did not have any milk to make some Mexican cornbread to go with it. Next time.


That is good eating. Some extra onions and cheese makes it very good.


The only thing that takes some time is opening all these cans.


Chop your onion. Use as much or as little as you like. I will save some of this to add to the top when serving. I usually try to have sweet onions. I like the flavor of them best. I know some people like to use shallots for their mild flavor.


Add the onions to the pot with some olive oil to sauté the just a little bit.


Add the ground been and brown it. Break it up into small pieces. I drain the fat off. There’s usually not a lot with this ground beef. If you have a Fresh Market close to you check out and see if they have their Tuesday specials on ground beef and chicken. They have them both for $3.99 (use to be 2.99) a lb. They are individually wrapped by right at 1 lb packages and the chicken are usually 2 breast. They are both really good. I keep them in my freezer. It’s probably time to go back this week and get some more.


After the meat is browned add 1 1/2 cups water.


Add the water to the pot.


Add the packet of taco seasoning. I like the Taco Bell but use whatever kind you like.


I always add a little more chili powder too.

I want to share this handy dandy tool with you. I saw this on one of those kitchen tools from Amazon you can’t live without, so I ordered one. It’s great for the pull top cans. Saves your nails.

You slip it under the pull top and pull it back and can is opened. Easy peasy. I use it almost every day.

So open all your cans. I actually did this while the meat was browning.

One can of chili beans
Two cans chili beans

Three cans of chili beans

A can of kidney beans. I added this can extra. I like to have a lot of beans in mine.

 A can of whole kernel corn undrained. You don’t drain any of the cans. 

1 8 oz can of tomato sauce


Stir it all together. Now if you are short on time the soup will be done when it gets hot, but I like to cook it for a little while and let all the flavors blend. So I cooked it for an hour or sow then turned it off and let it set until I was ready to eat and turned it back on and got it hot.

Extra onions for on top.

Dip up your soup
Add some onions.

Add some cheese and enjoy with cornbread crackers or even a grilled cheese.

Taco Soup Recipe
1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
1 chopped onion
3 cans chili beans—I add an additional can of kidney beans
1 can undrained while kernel corn
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 packet taco seasoning
1 1/2 cup water

Serve with cheese, onions and even taco chips


No comments:

Post a Comment