Thursday, November 21, 2019

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

I have had this recipe saved for a very long time with the intentions of trying it.  I finally got around to trying it the other week.  I use cream of soups a lot because I make a lot of casseroles.  They are the binding that holds casseroles together. I may never use a can of cream of soup again.  This is very easy and uses things you can easily keep in the pantry. You can change the flavors by using beef or vegetable broths. Not to mention you can control what goes inside.

Doesn't that look like a can of cream of soups?  Only less goopy. 
The broth is the one thing I might not usually keep, but I have now stocked the pantry with chicken and beef broth.
Start with 3 Tablespoons butter in a pan. Melt the butter.
Add 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour.
The butter is nice and melted
Add the flour
Stir well until there are no lumps in the butter mixture.
Add 1 cup chicken stock.  A can holds 2 cups.  I froze the other cup for another night.
Add the broth and stir until well mixed.
I have seen this advertised for a while now.  It is better than bouillon.  I got some to try in casseroles, etc.  I added some to this mixture.
I started with just a little because I wasn't sure about it but I think I can add more next time.  I also bought the beef and vegetable versions as well.
1/2 cup milk.  I use 2 %.
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.  I will probably use less or even not at all next time.
1/2 teaspoon onion powder.  I thin I might add a little ground mustard too.
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper.  I guess you could use white pepper if you don't want to see the black flakes.
Mix well.  Bring the mixture to a simmer.  Simmer for 5 minutes while stirring to keep it from burning.  See very easy.  Takes maybe 10 minutes to throw together.

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe

3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment