Wednesday, May 11, 2016

One Pan Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet

This was a nice quick and easy meal.  With the corn tortilla it reminded me of a type of chicken and dumplings.  I guess it could be Mexican chicken and dumplings.  I know it calls it a skillet but I used a pot.  I tend to make a mess stirring when I use a skillet that is full.  This was another quick and easy meal that you can add to your rotation.

I forgot to take a picture of the plate after it has been dished up.  When you serve this add a little extra cheese on top.  You can also add a little cilantro too.
The only thing you might need to pick up for this recipe is the corn tortillas.  The rest I know I keep in the pantry.
Start by adding 3 Tablespoons butter and 3 Tablespoons flour to the pan.  Melt the butter and whisk until all the flour lumps are gone.
Measure out 2 cups chicken broth.  Which is one small can.  I really do not like the smell of chicken broth.
Your roux is ready.
Add the broth.
Whisk until smooth.
Now I did this a little differently that the recipe called for.  You were to put your whole chicken breast in and let them cook in the broth. I cut my chicken up into pieces so it would cook quicker.  Then after it is cooked You will shred it so don't worry.
Measure out 1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder.  If you do not have this you can use regular chili powder and add just a little bit more.
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 oz can of green chilies
Cut up 12 corn tortillas
Then take the chicken out and shred it.
I took it out and put it on a plate.
Then put the chicken back in the pot.
Add the sour cream
green chilies
The tortilla pieces
Stir well and let the tortillas get hot.
Add 1-2 cups shredded cheese.  Save some for the top.
Stir until the cheese is melted.
This was leftovers that the husband was taking in to work the next day.  Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the plates.  This was not a spicy dish at all more of a comfort food.

One Pan Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet Recipe

3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
4 oz can chopped green chilies
2-3 chicken breast
1 cup sour cream
12 corn tortillas
1-2 cups Colby Jack cheese


No comments:

Post a Comment