Monday, May 2, 2016

Cheesy Kielbasa, Rice and Broccoli Skillet

Well I didn't make this dish in a skillet but it was still good. This is one of those meals that you can fix on a night when you do not have a lot of time to cook dinner, but you don't want fast food again.  The flavors blend really well together.
A little added cheese on top because you can never have too much cheese.
 A little commentary here.  I used minute rice, I think the recipe wanted long grain rice.  Your choice.
 First thing you want to do is slice the smoked sausage. You can use whatever flavor you like.
 Also slice the onion and bell pepper.  I bought a green pepper, but red would be really good because it would add a little sweetness to the dish.  Red peppers have a really nice flavor and add some nice color to the dish.
 In you skillet or pot brown the sausage.
 When they are nice and golden brown remove from the pan.
 Add a little olive oil to the pot.
 Add the peppers and onions to the pot and cook until they are softened.  Love the smell of peppers and onions. When they are softened, remove from pot too.
 Then add 2 cups chicken broth.  I have a confession to make.  I do not like the smell of chicken broth.
 Add one cup of rice.  Remember I said I used minute rice.  Had I used long grain rice I would have cooked it for about 15 minutes.  But since I realized I used the wrong rice I cooked it for about 7-10 minutes.  After you add the rice, stir well and cover.
 After the rice is cooked, uncover.
 Add the broccoli on top.  I would recommend thawing the broccoli because you only cook it for about 5-7 minutes. Cover the pot.
 After 5-7 minutes add the sausage and peppers and onions back to the pot.
 Add 1 cup cheese.
 Stir well. Let the cheese melt.
Then dish up and add a little more cheese on top.  Enjoy.

Cheesy Kielbasa, Rice and Broccoli Skillet Recipe

1 pkg smoked sausage
1 med onion
1 bell pepper
salt, pepper and garlic
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups broccoli
2 cups cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment