Monday, December 15, 2014

Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash

I like to try one new dish for Thanksgiving every year just to shake things up.  I wasn't sure I would be able to do that this year but I found this one and thought I would give it a try.  I want my family and friends to try new things and at Thanksgiving there are plenty of everything else that a bite of something won't kill them. The orange gave this a very nice flavor.  A hint thought this is not a dish to leave on the stove to keep warm.  It is much better when it is first made.
This turns out to be a very pretty fall dish.
You can use fresh brussels sprouts if you want to but you will need to steam them a little first.
The recipe suggest to mix the dressing first so that the flavors will have time to blend while you cook the sprouts and squash.  Start with 2 Tablespoons melted butter.
 2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoons orange zest.  I didn't measure just zested the orange.
3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice.  This came from the orange that I zested.
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Peel and chop the butternut squash
Go ahead and cut the sprouts in half.
Saute the squash in 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
You will want it to get that nice and golden color on the edges. Take it up in a bowl.
Add 1 Tablespoon more of olive oil to the pan and saute them as well. After they get the brown around the edges...
Add the butternut squash to the sprouts.
Pour the dressing over the veggies.
Add about 3/4 cup pecans to the mixture.  I didn't measure.
Add about 1/2 cup dried cranberries to the top.
Stir well and let simmer for a few minutes to soak up the dressing.
I think we had some happy customers.

Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Recipe

1 lb brussels sprouts halved
1 1/2 lb butternut squash peeled then diced
2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
3/4 cup pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Orange Glaze
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Tablespoon honey
3 Tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
1 Tablespoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar



No comments:

Post a Comment