Monday, November 13, 2017

French Onion Chicken Casserole


I was surprised at this recipe.  I saw the title and it reminded me of some other French onion recipes that I have made but they used French onion soup.  This one didn't have that, but this recipe didn't disappoint.  It was so easy and good.  The onions come from French fried onions from the can. They give this recipe just the crunch they need.  All I had to do was add some wild rice and we had a great meal.

This might just become one of my new comfort meals. 
This recipe has lots of flavor.
Start with 1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo.  This is a good start already.
Mix that well and add a can of cream of chicken soup.  I will probably use cream of mushroom next time.  I tend to keep more of that than the cream of chicken.
Now you can add a cup of green beans or a cup of celery.  I like celery but a cup of it seems like a lot.  I went with the green beans.
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
1/2 cup slivered almonds.  This give a nice crunch too.
3 cups chopped cooked chicken.  You could use the canned chicken but I like cooking my own.
Mix this well.
Pour into a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake uncovered 30 minutes.
After baking for 30 minutes.  Looks a little bland doesn't it.
Add the French's fried onions on top.
Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
Then enjoy.

French Onion Chicken Casserole Recipe

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup chopped celery or green beans
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 6 oz French's fried onions

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Add onions on top and bake 5 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment