Thursday, June 15, 2017

Skillet Strawberry Crumble

This recipe landed in my inbox the other day from the Six Sister blog.  I don't know if you are familiar with this blog but you need to be.  I get lots of recipes from them.  This one spoke to me.  "You have strawberries in the fridge.  It's time to try this."  How can I turn down a talking recipe. So to the kitchen I go.
It's always a good day when you can make something in your cast iron skillet.
 This is a very easy recipe.
 You are going to mix and bake in your skillet.  Start with 1/2 cup sugar
 1 Tablespoon cornstarch.  This is going to be your thickener for your strawberries.
 2 Tablespoons lemon juice.
 Now about 3 cups chopped strawberries.  Place this on the stove and cook until the strawberries are soft and the liquid starts to become thick.
 While the strawberries are cooking mix the toping.  Start with 2 cup old fashioned oats.
 1 cup brown sugar.  Toss those together.
 Melt one stick of butter.
 Pour over the oats and toss together.
 The strawberries are done.
 Add the topping to the strawberries.  Now  the recipe did not tell what temperature to put the oven on.  So I went with the standard 350.  You are to bake for 10 minutes.  Well the topping didn't get as toasted or brown so I think maybe 400 would be a better temperature.  I am going to try that next time.
 I really wished we had some ice cream to go on top of this pie.  It smells really good.
And enjoy.  Now I think this recipe could be used with other fruits like maybe blackberries.  It is almost blackberry season.  I might have to try this.  Peaches would be good too.

Skillet Strawberry Crumble Recipe

3 cups chopped strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Crumble topping
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven 350-400 you can try one.  Bake for 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment