Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Creamy French Onion Chicken and Rice

Chicken and rice is one of those great dishes that you put in a little prep and then you put it in the oven and really forget about it.  This is a nice spin on the traditional chicken and rice.  If you like French Onion soup you will really enjoy this dish.  I was told this was a keeper.  The leftovers were good too.  Sometimes that is important around here.  We don't always have leftovers but when we do I like for them to be eaten.  Give this a try soon.  I think your family will enjoy it.
I got to use some of my fresh parsley from my herb garden on top.  If you don't have any fresh parsley it won't make a difference in the taste.  It basically just makes it look pretty. 
I added the french fried onions.  I had a few left over and thought I would add them on top.
Start with 2 cups milk.  I used 2 %.
Add 2 cans cream of chicken soup.  I will probably use cream of mushroom soup next time.  I tend to have more of that on hand.   Mix it well.
Add 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice.
Add 1 pkg of French Onion soup mix.  Mix all of these things together well.
Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.  I sprayed it so it would stick.
Add chicken to the top.  I cut mine into pieces because smaller pieces cook better than the whole chicken breast.
Cover tightly with foil.  You are basically steaming it.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 60 minutes.
After 30 minutes uncover and fluff the rice some.   Recover and continue baking for 30 more minutes.
While it is back in the oven grate some Gruyere cheese.
After the second 30 minutes take it out and uncover.  Fluff the rice some.
Then top with the cheese.
It looks good and smells better.
Then I added the french fried onions on top. Recover it and place back in the oven for about 15 minutes.  You want that cheese to melt.
Doesn't that look good?
Chop up some fresh parsley.
You are ready to serve.
Dip up and sprinkle with the parsley.

Creamy French Onion Chicken and Rice recipe

2 cups uncooked long grain white rice (you can use brown if you like)
2 cups milk
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 pkg French Onion Soup mix
1 lb chicken
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon parsley

Bake in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake covered for 30 minutes, fluff rice, then return to the oven for 30 more minutes.  Fluff rice, add cheese and return to oven for 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment