Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Amish White Bread

It has been a really long time since I made homemade bread.  I thought I would give it a try a few nights ago.  So I went looking for a recipe.  I found this Amish White Bread recipe and it looked easy so I gave it a try.  It was really good bread.  There was a nice golden brown crust.  When you tap on it it had a nice hollow sound.  It was one of the easiest bread recipes I have tried.  I will be using this one again. 

There is not much better than warm homemade bread and butter.
This is all that was needed for this recipe.
In a bowl add 1/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons fast acting or bread machine yeast.
1 cup warm water.  Around 110 degrees
Let that sit and foam for about 10 minutes.  If your yeast doesn't start foaming pretty quick then you need to start over.  The water might have been too hot or you have old yeast.
Put a little oil in a bowl.
Roll it around to coat the inside.
After 10 minutes add 3/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons oil
3 cups all purpose or bread flour.  Add the cups one at a time.  You may need to add a little more flour if your dough is too sticky.
Mix the dough until it all comes together.
Change out for the dough hook.
Mix the dough for about 3-5 minutes.  I set the timer on my phone.
The dough should be soft not sticky.
Now place in the bowl.
Turn it over so both sides will be coated with oil.
Spray the plastic wrap so it won't stick.  Cover and place in a warm draft free place for about 1-1 1/2 hours.  I put mine in my van in the garage.  No draft but it is warm.
After the rising time, take it out.
Punch the dough down.
Turn out onto a floured surface.  Shape into a loaf shape.
Place in a loaf pan.  Cover again and let rise 30 minutes to an hour. Back in the van it goes.
After it's last rise time it should be over the edge of the pan.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 30 minutes.
 Take out of the oven.  Isn't that a pretty loaf of bread?
 Turn out on a cutting board.
Now enjoy with a little butter.

Amish White Bread Recipe

1 cup warm water 110 degrees
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons oil
3 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment