Thursday, April 4, 2024

Pride of Iowa aka Caitlin Clark Cookies

 Now these were not originally called Caitlin Clark cookies. But when I found this recipe the pride of Iowa I had to print it out and save for the NCAA women’s basketball tournament. I was really hoping Iowa would make it to the final four so I could try them. Like her or not Caitlin has done a lot to promote women’s sports not only now but also for future generations of little girls. Ten years from now we may be watching a girl in the finals that credits Caitlin with her getting interesting in basketball. Good luck Hawkeyes. We will be watching and having a cookie or two.


Don’t they look good?


Now for the cookies. Gather your ingredients.


Measure out one cup sugar.

1 cup brown sugar. Pack it in.


1 cup shortening. I like to use butter flavored shortening. 

 Is well. It will be nice and fluffy.

Add two eggs. Look at these pretty eggs. A friend of mine shared some of her fresh eggs with me. They are such pretty colors. 

They are just as pretty in the inside. Add these to the bowl.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. I like the vanilla paste.


Mix well. It is a pretty golden color.


Add 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda.

1 teaspoon baking powder.

Add 2 cups plain flour. Add just a little at a time and mix well between each addition.


Add three cups quick oats. The batter will be thick so add a little at a time and mix between each edition.


Add 1 cup shredded coconut.

As I was mixing, dough was flying at me. I stopped the mixer and realized one of the whisk pieces broke.

Another look at it. Not bad for a 30year old mixer. Never fear I have a replacement whisk in my Amazon cart. I’m so glad that didn’t happen during my Christmas baking.
So my friend that gave me the eggs I am going to bake hem some cookies as a thank you. There’s a nut allergy there so I am baking some before I add the nuts.


This batch has no nuts. So if you can’t have nuts or don’t like them it’s fine to leave them out.


This is about a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. If you want walnuts they would be good too. Add them to the batter. 


This batch has nuts. Place in a 350preheated oven. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.


This is the first batch without nuts fresh from the oven.


There was also plenty to put in the freezer for later.

These have nuts. I’m not sure these will last until game time Friday night. You have plenty of time to make yourself a batch before the game. Let’s go Iowa.

Pride of Iowa Cookies Recipe
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups quick oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 10-12 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment