Saturday, September 30, 2023

Crockpot Swiss Steak

 Today’s recipe is a trip down memory lane for me. We used to have Swiss steak a lot growing up. I have been searching for a recipe that was similar to what I remembered. None looked right, until I saw this one in an email last week. Now growing up we didn’t have crockpots, I know the dark ages, so it was usually made in an electric skillet. But you can’t beat a crockpot for cooking dinner.


The potatoes and carrots were not included in the original recipe, but when I talked to my mother about the recipe she reminded me she handed them to the pot.


Get your ingredients together.


The most important step is the crockpot liner. This is one of the greatest kitchen inventions. It makes cleanup a breeze and keeps your crockpot looking good.


Put the cubed steak in the bottom of the pot. You can used round steak if you prefer it. No need to brown or dust in flour.


Slice an onion and add to the top.


If you like bell peppers and I do, add sliced bell pepper to the top.


In a bowl add a can of diced or crushed or whole tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce.


Add 2 teaspoons of oregano


1/2 teaspoon salt


1 teaspoon pepper


1/2 teaspoon garlic powder


The recipe calls for a teaspoon of paprika. It can be regular or smoked. I had both so I added 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika and….


1/2 tablespoon regular paprika


Mix that together well.


Pour on top of the meat.


I put this together the night before, so at this point I covered it and out it in the fridge ready to go the next morning.


After it has been cooking for a couple of hours I put some tiny potatoes and carrots in the pot.


I pushed them into the sauce to cover them. I like using these little potatoes you just wash and dump.


It’s ready after a day of cooking.


Everything is so tender.


We always had Swiss steak with green beans. Some things just don’t change.

Crockpot Swiss Steak Recipe

1-2 lbs cubed steak- can use round steak

14-16 oz canned tomatoes

14-16 oz tomato sauce

1 onion sliced

1 bell pepper sliced

2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon paprika- smoked or regular or both

Cook on low for 7-9 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment