Thursday, October 21, 2021

Green Chile Chicken Rice-A-Roni Casserole

The last couple of weeks I have tried a few new recipes and they were all keepers.  This is a very flavorful recipe full of cheese. I think I need to keep all these ingredients on hand so it can be a new go to meal.

Look at all that cheese. 
I don't usually keep rice a roni but I think I will from now on.

Start with a can of cream of chicken.  You could use cream of mushroom if that is what you have.
Add a 4.5 oz can of green chilies
1/2 cup sour cream.  I didn't measure I just eye balled it.  It may be more than 1/2 but that is okay.
Mix all that together until smooth and add 1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded.  I had a piece of pepper jack so I grated all of it.  Add to the mixture.
3 cups chopped cooked chicken.
Cook the rice a roni per the box directions. This took the longest amount of time.  Add the rice to the chicken mixture.  I let it cook just a little bit. 
Now pour into a sprayed 9x13 baking dish.  Smooth out.
Add another cup of pepper jack cheese.  I was out of the pepper jack and I had Monterey Jack and I used that.  It was fine.  I think the pepper jack is good because it adds a little kick but if you don't have it or enough you can substitute.
Add the cheese on the top.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.  You can make this recipe ahead of time to be baked later.  It can even be frozen.  I would not put the cheese on top if I were going to freeze it.
It comes out of the oven all nice and golden brown with gooey cheese.

Green Chile Chicken Rice-A-Roni Casserole Recipe

1 box chicken rice-a-roni  plus the ingredients from back
1/2 cup sour cream
1can cream of chicken soup
1 4.5 oz diced green chiles
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups pepper jack cheese shredded
3 cups chopped cooked chicken

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment