Thursday, February 1, 2018

Turnip Green Soup aka Swamp Soup

I have a confession for you.  I didn't eat this recipe.  I made this for my husband.  I don't like turnip greens or white beans.  A friend of mine told me about this soup and said she didn't like turnip greens either but she liked this soup.  And also who wants to eat something called  swamp soup? I will warn you I get where they came up with that name.

Don't say I didn't warn you.  And in true turnip green fashion it smelled up the kitchen too.
 You can use ham or smoked sausage.
 Start with 2 Tablespoons butter
 Chop an onion.  Melt the butter and saute the onions in the butter
 This didn't make it into the ingredient picture. Add to the onions.
 4 cups water
 Add the water to the pot
 Add all 32 oz of low sodium chicken broth
 Add 2 cans of white beans.  Drain and rinse.  The rinsing gets rid of some of the sodium in the beans.
 Add 1 lb chopped turnip greens.  If frozen thaw them.  You can use fresh but you will have to cook a little longer.
 Salt and pepper
 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
 Add about a lb of ham or smoked sausage
 Stir well and cook on low for at least 20 minutes for the flavors to blend.
Then enjoy.  I should have made him some cornbread to go with it but ran out of time.

Turnip Green Soup Recipe

2 Tablespoons butter
1 lb ham or smoked sausage
chopped onion
1 pkg Knorr vegetable mix
32 oz chicken broth
4 cups water
2 cans drained and rinsed white beans
1 lb turnip greens
salt, pepper and garlic to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment