Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Sweet Potato Salad with Brussels Sprouts

Those of you that have followed me for a while know that I like to find dishes with brussels sprouts in them.  Last week the new Taste of the South magazine came and there was a recipe for a dish with both sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts.  It just screamed fall.  Now if the temperatures would just agree.  I keep waiting for our one day of fall before winter sets in.
This is a nice colorful dish. 
You might need to add a few things to your grocery list so you can make this.
Chop a red onion. I usually use sweet onions but the recipe called for red.  I think it would work with either.
I used thawed frozen brussels sprouts.  I cut them in half.  About a pound.
Peel and chop about 2 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes.
Measure out about 2 Tablespoons oil.  The recipe called for canola oil and I usually use olive oil.  I will use olive next time.
Pour over the veggies and then stir well.
Spread out the veggies on a baking sheet.  I lined it with the non stick foil.  You know I like ease of cleanup.  Place in a 425 oven.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Stir occasionally.
After 10 minutes.
While the veggies are cooking mix up the dressing.  5 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
After an additional 10 minutes.  Back in for about 5 minutes.
2 teaspoons oil again I would use olive oil next time.
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
I still had some fresh parsley.
Chop that up and throw in.
The veggies are ready.
Let the cool for a few minutes.
Then put in a bowl.
Pour dressing on top.
Stir well.
And for the final touch add some roasted, salted pumpkin seeds about 1/4 cup.

Sweet Potato Salad with Brussels Sprouts Recipe

2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound brussels sprouts halved
2 cups coarsely chopped red onion
2 Tablespoons canola oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
5 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon canola oil
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage (I left this out.  I don't like sage)
1 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds


No comments:

Post a Comment