Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Trash Can Deodorizer Tabs

This summer my garbage can has had a little bit of a smell to it from time to time.  Even if the garbage gets taken out every day there was still a little odor.  So when I found this recipe I had to try it.  I know that baking soda is a deodorizer so I am thinking this is going to work.

It's fun to use some festive shapes.  I do need to invest in some more small silicone molds. 
This recipe only uses three ingredients.  You are thinking there are only two there.  The third is water.
Measure out 2 cups baking soda.  Mine had some lumps in it so I was breaking them up.
Add essential oils until you get the scent you like.  I used peppermint.  I mainly used it because I have peppermint granite cleaner so I thought the smells would compliment and not fight each other.  But you could do seasonal scents.  There are some cool smells for Christmas.  Mix the baking soda and oils to blend the smell.
Now start adding water 1 Tablespoon at a time.  Mix after adding.
After 2 Tablespoons.
After 3 Tablespoons.  Not quite sticking together.
After 4 Tablespoons
5 Tablespoons
6 Tablespoons of water.  It is beginning to stick together. I really think I could have put more water in the mixture.
You can see it is sticking together.
Put some in the molds
Tamp it down to make it stick together.
When you get the mold filled let them sit at least over night if not longer to dry.
I took my garbage out this morning so I thought it was a good time to add one to the bottom of the can.  So I thought the small ones would be ready.  They were but I don't think there was enough water to bind it together.
Because they fell apart.  But that doesn't mean you can't still use them.  You could also use these in the fridge as well to get rid of smells.
So I put half on a paper plate and put in the bottom of my garbage can.  I can already tell a difference.  I get a whiff of peppermint when I walk by.

Trash Can Deodorizer Tabs Recipe

2 cups baking soda
6-8 Tablespoons water
essential oils


No comments:

Post a Comment