Wednesday, July 29, 2020

New Mexico Style Sopapillas


I have searched for a long time for a recipe for sopapillas like I remember as a child.  We would go to El Palacio here in town and they had these great sopapillas that you would bite into them and they would be hollow on the inside and you could pour honey inside. Well I found that recipe.  They are easy too which is a plus. I will be making these again sometime soon.
You can dust them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar then drizzle honey on them or just do one or the other.  I wish I had a picture to show you the inside.
All you need are a few simple ingredients you probably have on hand.
I made half a recipe.  So keep that in mind. If you need more just use the regular recipe.  But I am sharing the half recipe.  2 cups all purpose flour.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons shortening.  I had butter flavored shortening.
Cut the shortening into the flour mixture.
You should not see any pieces of shortening.
3/4 cup warm water.  I used 110 degrees.  This is what I use for making bread.
The dough comes together.
Knead the dough a couple of times.
The ball up, cover and let rest for about 20 minutes.
Start heating you oil on medium high.  I am almost afraid to heat oil on high.  I used a dutch oven because it is heavy.  Roll the dough out, I cut mine in half and did two batches, you want it to be about 1/8th inch thick.
Then cut in squares.  Mine were not uniform size square but you can cut them about 4 inches.
The first batch ready for the oil.
I originally put a small piece in to test the oil.  You want the oil to be really hot so they puff up.
When they start expanding you can hear them.

Ready for cinnamon sugar and honey
Ready to dive in.  I will say they do make a mess.  But it's a good mess.

New Mexico Style Sopapillas Recipe
Full recipe
4 cups all purpose flour
4 Tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt

No comments:

Post a Comment