Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Sweet Tea Turkey Brine

Back to another Thanksgiving recipe.  This year I decided to cook two turkey breast instead of a whole turkey.  So I have been reading and thinking about brining a turkey for a while so I thought this was the perfect time to try. The thing to remember about using a brine is you have to plan ahead a little bit.  
Sorry I did not get a picture of the finished bird.  You know how it is on Thanksgiving and everyone is ready for the guest of honor and taking a picture didn't cross my mind.
So the day before I want to put the turkey in the brine, I made the brine.  This one is very easy.
I went ahead a mixed the brine in the pot I was going to use for the turkey.  Add 1/2-1 gal of water.  Bring water to a boil.
I sliced the orange, lemon and onion while I was waiting on the water.
I measured out 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup salt, and 1/2 Tablespoon whole peppercorns.  Now more about the salt.  The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of salt.  But according to the Pioneer Woman and some other places I read salt water is added to the turkeys before they are frozen to keep them moist.  If you are using a fresh bird add more salt, frozen bird less salt.  You don't want the bird to be too salty.
When the water boils add 5 tea bags, turn off the heat and cover.  Let steep for 10 minutes.
Now it is time to add the rest of the ingredients.
1/4 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoons peppercorns
Orange slices
Lemon slices
Onion slices. Cover and put in the fridge to cool.
Now most recipes call for brining a bird for about 24 hours.  So the next morning I got the bird and the brine out.  Wash the bird well and clean him out.  Yuck.
If the turkey is not completely covered add a little more water.  You can also brine in a brining bag.

Thanksgiving morning I go get the bird to get him ready for the oven.
Take him out of the brine.  I poured the brine down the sink.
Now the easiest thing for me was to wash out the pot and then refill it with fresh water.  You will want to soak him for about 20-30 minutes to make sure all the salt is gone.
Now we are ready to get him dressed for the oven.
Pat him dry.  This will help have a crispy skin.
Pour some olive oil on the bird.
I added some fresh parsley that was left in my garden.
I put some more orange, lemon and onion slices inside the bird with some left over parsley.  I use turkey bags to bake my turkeys.  They come out nice and moist.  I follow the directions on the box for baking.  I really wish I had remembered to take a picture.  He was a pretty bird.  Nice and golden brown.  The meat was nice and juicy.  I would try this again.

Sweet Tea Turkey Brine Recipe

3-5 lb turkey breast
1/2 -1 gal water 16 cups
5 tea bags
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
onion, lemon and orange sliced thin
1/2 Tablespoon peppercorns
3 garlic cloves
olive oil
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment