Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies

Cherry season is one of my favorite of the year.  The fresh cherries seemed to be really good this year.  Nice and big and juicy.  They may have been a little too juicy for this recipe.  I will explain as I go along.
These were not the prettiest cookies I have ever made.
These cookies have lots of good stuff in them, cherries, chocolate, and oats.
Start with 1 stick melted butter
Add 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamom. I would probably use just a 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom.  It seemed a little strong.  I have been asked about cardamom because it is one of the spices I put in my gingerbread men.  Here is a little info on it. It is a common ingredient in Indian cooking. It is also often used in baking in the Nordic countries, in particular in SwedenNorway, and Finland, where it is used in traditional treats. It is the third most expensive spice. 
                                      
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup diced fresh cherries.  Now here is where I think I went wrong. We have a saying around here work smarter not harder.  So After I pitted the cherries I put them in the food processor to chop them. I think that released too much liquid.
See how it changed the color of the dough.
Scoop out on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake about 10-12 minutes. 
They were a little too soft and really spread out too much.

Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 stick melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup diced fresh cherries

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment