Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Sweet Tea Brine Smoked Chicken Wings

This recipe came from the Southern Living Tailgating Recipes book.  What is more football food than wings. We put these wings on smoker but you could put them on the grill using indirect heat.  I have a great recipe for hot wings but I think I like these maybe a little better.  One thing is for sure they are not as messy. 

Don't these look good, all nice and smoky.  They are so easy to make too. 
All you need is a little sweet tea, salt and some time.  I made my sweet tea but you could buy it remade if you like.
Start with 1/2 cup water
Add 5 Tablespoons of kosher salt to the water. I didn't use a full 5 T because I ran out.  I think they turned out fine with less.
Stir well.  Place on the stove and boil, stirring until the salt has dissolved.
Place the chicken wings in a zip lock bag.
Pour 4 cups sweet tea into the bag.
Take the water off the stove.  Let cool for a few minutes.
Pour into the chicken bag.
Shake the bag a couple of times to mix the water into the tea.
I put the bag in a bowl before I put it in the fridge so that the wings would stay covered.  Let them chill for 8 hours or overnight.  I put mine in the fridge before bedtime.
When you are ready to smoke them pull them out of the brine.  Dry the wings.  Then place them on a rack so they don't touch.  Place on the grill or smoker set at about 250 degrees.  Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Maintain the 250 degrees inside.  Then for about the last 5 minutes place over direct heat.
Remove from the smoker.  You can make a white sauce to go with the wings if you like.  We didn't but I might next time.  A white sauce might be good with them.

Sweet Tea Brine Smoked Chicken Wings Recipe

4 cups sweet tea
1/2 cup water
5 Tablespoons kosher salt
4 lbs chicken wings

Smoke/grill at 250 degrees.  Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment