Thursday, August 16, 2018

Cherry Melt in Your Mouth Cookies

It's cherry season and boy are they good this year.  The cherry recipes are coming out of the woodwork and I want to try all of them.  I have not tried a bad one yet.  The beauty of this one is that I did a test on it and it passed!  More about that in a little bit.  I actually have made this recipe twice.  I just thought the cookies would be better with a little chocolate.  Think Jerry Garcia ice cream.  And guess what they were.  So you can make them with or without chocolate.

These cookies are with the chocolate. 
This is a basic cookie recipe.  You could probably swap out some other fruit for the cherries and it would be fine.
Soften one stick of butter.  Beat well
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.  I forgot to take a picture of 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well.
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup pitted, diced cherries.  If you have a cherry pitter it comes in handy.  Pit the cherries and then chop them. You don't want the pieces too big or too small, just right.
A few left over cherries for the cook. I mean after you have pitted them they can't go to waste.
Mix the cherries into the batter.  These cherries must not have had as much juice because the second batch I made turned a little purple which is fine too.
Scoop out on to a baking pan lined with parchment.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Now I made my cookies smaller than the recipe calls for so watch them around the 15 minute mark to make sure they are not over baked.
You see these two cookies?  I placed them in the freezer to see how the fruit would freeze.  I wanted to make some for the freezer since cherry season will be gone soon.  Well the freeze test worked. So there is now a batch of cookies in the freezer for later.
Then I thought they would be better with chocolate.  I wanted the chunky pieces of chocolate but couldn't find them, I actually had some in the pantry and didn't realize it. So I added dark chocolate chips. They were really good.

Cherry Melt in Your Mouth Cookies Recipe

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup pitted diced cherries

If you like add 1-2 cups chocolate chips/chunks
Bake 18-20 minutes in a preheated 350 oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment