Tuesday, September 2, 2014

German Chocolate Cake Bars

The German chocolate pie I made earlier this summer was such a hit I thought I would try this take on the German chocolate cake.  Chocolate, pecans, and coconut what could be wrong with that?
So oozy and gooey.  I think your family will love this.
The recipe called for a devil's food cake mix but I had the German chocolate one in the pantry and so I went with that one.  I thought it turned out fine.  The recipe did state that you should not use the cake mix with the pudding in it.
For the crust, start with the cake mix.
Melt one stick of butter
1 egg
Mix well.
It will come together well and be thick.
Press it down in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 7 minutes.
While the crust is baking, mix together the filling.  Start with 1 can sweetened condensed milk.  I used fat free.
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix that all together.
Now do better than I did.  I wasn't thinking and poured it pretty much in the middle thinking I could spread it out.  Well you can't do that.  It would be better to drizzle it around and get some on the edges.
Sprinkle 1/2 chocolate chips on top.
Put it back in the oven for 24-30 minutes.
It looks a little bit like the earthquake cake I have seen before.
It is nice and gooey.

German Chocolate Cake Bars Recipe

Crust
1 box devil's food cake mix or other chocolate mix without the pudding
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 7 minutes

Filling
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
Bake for 24-30 minutes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment