Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Amish Molasses Cookies

I have been interested in the Amish lately.  First my trip a couple of weeks ago with some friends, then we went back and ordered us a new bed.  I can't wait for that to be made. I am also watching an Amish movie while I am typing this.  So when I saw this recipe for these cookies I had to make them.
These are not as spicy as my gingerbread men I make for the holidays but these have a really nice flavor to them
This is still some of my locally made molasses.
Start with 3.4 cup shortening.  I like using butter flavored shortening for my baking.
1 cup brown sugar
Cream that together.
Add 1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Mix well.  Then cover and place in the fridge for about 2 hours or until firm.
When you take them out of the fridge.  Roll into small balls and roll into sugar.
Then place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

This batch is ready for the preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 9-10 minutes.
They smell really good out of the oven.
You might want to share them. Molasses cookies are not just for Christmas, they are great any time.

Amish Molasses Cookies Recipe
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven 350.  Bake for 9-10 minutes.


















No comments:

Post a Comment