Friday, October 20, 2023

Lasagna Soup

 It has finally become soup weather around here. I have several new soups I want to try and out tonight was the first one. I was curious about lasagna soup. But I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It’s very easy to put together so that is a plus too.


I pulled out my pretty bowls tonight for this soup.

It would be easy to keep the ingredients on hand so you could make this on a night you don’t have much time.


First thing to do is chop up an onion. You can put as much or as little onion as you like. You don’t have to chop it very fine either.


I put a little olive oil in the bottom of my pot and sautéed the onions until they are tender.


The recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs of Italian sausage. My sausage comes in 1 lb packages so I used the whole 2 lbs. 


Break it up a little bit while you are browning it. It’s kind of hard to get into small pieces. It doesn’t break up like ground beef does.


While the sausage was browning I started dealing with the tomatoes. The recipe calls for 2 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes. You do not drain them. I don’t like tomatoes and I don’t like chunks of tomatoes. 

So I out the can of diced tomatoes in my mini food processor and chopped them up. Pulverized them really.


After the 2 cans of tomatoes add 1 6 oz can of tomato paste.


The recipe calls for 6 garlic cloves chopped. I bought a small jar of minced garlic. This way I don’t have to mince it myself and I can us as much or as little as I want.


Next comes 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning. You can see I am using just a regular spoon to measure this out. If I had been baking I would have used a measuring spoon but when you are cooking you do not have to be as precise. 


Next comes 6 cups chicken broth. I usually use reduced sodium broth to just keep it from being so salty. This container has 4 cups in it. I used all of this container.


And two cups from the second container. That container went into the fridge. I have plans for that on Monday.


Stir everything up well. I let this part cook for a little while. I noticed when I first out it on the stove I smelled the garlic and I smelled the Italian seasoning separately. After it had simmered on the stove for a little while I could not smell individual flavors but they had blended together.


It has been cooking for about 2 hours. It’s time to finish it up.


You need 8 oz of some kind of noodle. They mad a small lasagna type noodle but I didn’t want to go to a bunch of stores looking so while I am out I will look and see if I can find them. 


Break up the larger lasagna noodles into smaller pieces. Some of these could be smaller pieces.

Put them into the soup. Cook per package directions. You don’t want to put them in too early they will suck up all the liquid in the soup. Cook them just until they are done.

While the noodles cook grate some mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to go on top. You could also add some ricotta cheese to make it more like lasagna. I don’t like ricotta so none of that in my soup. But if you like it and have it go for it.


Now enjoy your bowl of soup. Some nice crusty bread would have been good with it too.

Lasagna Soup Recipe

1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage

1 onion chopped

6 minced garlic cloves

1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning

6 oz can tomato paste.

2-14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes undrained 

6 cups chicken broth/stock

8 oz pasta mafalda pasta is the small lasagna noodles

Salt and pepper 

Turn soup up to simmer when adding the pasta to cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment